YOU WILL NEED: 12" HIGH OASIS CONE (AVAILABLE ON LINE OR CRAFT SHOPS)
1 X SHEET GREEN TISSUE PAPER
A STABILISING ROUND BOARD WITH A SPIKE IN THE CENTRE
(Cake board with a large nail fixed in place will do the trick)
GREEN OR RED MINI CAKE CASES X 8
GREEN OR RED BUN CAKE CASES X 25
GREEN OR RED MUFFIN CAKE CASES X 7
EDIBLE DECORATIONS OF YOUR CHOICE AND A STAR ON A WIRE STEM FOR THE TOP.
I tried to make these little cakes taste of Christmas so added currants, cherries grated orange rind and mixed spice to a basic sponge. I also put almond extract in the icing so the flavours of Christmas Cake were basically there!!
285gms Unsalted Butter - room temperature
285gms Golden Caster Sugar
285gms S.R. Flour
5 Large Eggs - beaten
100gms Glace Cherries - washed and quartered
1 teasp Mixed Spice
1 Large Orange - zest only, grated.
340gms Unsalted Butter - room temperature
170gms Full fat Cream Cheese
850gms Sieved Icing Sugar
1½ Teasp Almond Extract
Red and Green Food Colouring
Edible decorations of your choice
The mixture will need to be divided as follows:
8 x Mini Cakes
25 Bun Cakes
7 Muffin Cakes
METHOD Set the oven to 180°C Fan.
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2. Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little flour towards the end to prevent curdling
3. Fold in the flour, spice, orange zest, currants and cherries.
4. Bake for 12 mins mini cakes, 14 - 16 mins bun cakes and 19 - 20 mins muffin cakes.
5. Leave to cool
6. Make the icing by beating all the ingredients together except the colours.
7. Take out a good heaped tablespoonful and colour red, cover and set aside. If you want a third colour for a any design you have in mind, separate off.
8. Colour the rest a strong green cover and set aside.
9. Place your oasis cone on the spike and cover with the tissue paper.
10. Fix your cakes on to the cone using the wooden skewers starting with the 7 muffin sizes, then the bun size, then the minis at the top. Make sure the skewers are place slightly upwards otherwise the cakes will fall off!
11. Place the green icing in a large icing bag with a medium sized rosette nozzle and pipe each cake from top to bottom right across each one as per the photo.
12. Use the red icing in a separate bag with small star or rosette nozzle to place in random places as 'baubles'.
13. Add any other decorations you have and place the star down the middle at the top.