450 gms Bramley Cooking Apples
2 Med Granny Smith Apples
280 gms Slightly Salted Butter
280 gms Caster Sugar
4 large Eggs
315gms Plain Flour
70 gms Ground Almonds
2 Teasp Baking Powder
Grated zest of 2 lemon
Juice 1 lemon
1 Level Teasp Cinnamon
3 Tblsp PlainYoghurt
Demerara sugar to sprinkle.
Optional - 80 gms Raisins
If adding the raisins, sprinkle in with the apple.
Heat the oven to 170°C and grease and line the Traybake Tin.
1. Peel core and cut the Bramley apples into med size chunks, sprinkle with lemon juice. Set to one side.
2. Thinly slice the Granny Smith Apples and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Set to one side.
3. Cream the butter and sugar.
4. Beat in the eggs and yoghurt adding a little flour if it starts to curdle.
5. Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and lemon zest.
6. Stir the cinnamon into the chunked Bramley apples. (Mix in the raisins if using)
7. Add the Bramley apples to the sponge by gently folding in.
8. Spread into the lined tin.
9. Arrange the sliced Granny Smith apples on top in a pattern of your choice.
10. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
11. Bake for 60 - 70mins until golden and springy to the touch.
12. Cut into bars or squares.
13. Serve on its own or with Clotted Cream, Creamy hot custard or ice cream.